Advance Care Planning
Interested in running your own Advance Care Planning sessions?
Cost: All material is completely FREE. Made available to organizations to use in their regions, as long as the training is provided free of charge.
Location: Online or in-person
Schedule: 5-Week Workshop Series, 2.5 hours per session
Who this course is for: These workshops are for healthcare organizations. We don’t currently offer this education directly to caregivers or patients.
We provide all of the course materials, PowerPoint files, and Facilitator's Guide for free, so that any organization can easily facilitate Practical Caregiver Training.
What is Advance Care Planning?
Although Advance Care Planning is often thought of as planning for the end of life, it is really about planning for life, up to and including death.
It is a process of thinking about what is important to you. What are your beliefs, values and wishes for your care?
Advance care planning is also about sharing those wishes, especially with your substitute decision-maker (the person who will speak for you if you can’t speak for yourself) so that your family and friends know how you would like to be cared for in the future.
A 5-week workshop series run by you and your organization,
Advance care planning involves your substitute decision-maker (the person who will speak for you if you can’t speak for yourself) so that your family and friends know how you would like to be cared for in the future.
We provide all the course materials to help your organization get up and running.
The goals of this training is to:
- Think about who and what you want around you at end-of life,
- Learn about medical procedures and treatments
- Identify your Substitute Decision Maker
- Talk about your wishes, values and beliefs with your substitute decision maker(s)
Want to run a training?
All the information you need to run the training in your organization. Our Program Proposal provides an overview of the program and the resources you need to run it.
- Speak Up – Ontario Resources (English) or (Français)
- Hospice Palliative Care Ontario (English)
- Go Wish Game - 36 cards to help you explore what you think would be most important to you if you were very sick or dying (English)
- Decision Aids (English) or (Français)
- Ontario Seniors Secretariat: A Guide to Advance Care Planning (English) or (Français)
- Ontario Attorney General Resources (English) or (Français)
- Community Legal Education Ontario – Power of Attorney for Personal Care (English) or (Français)